Historically St. Petersburg covers the Neva Bay from the north, east and south. Initially the roads in the city were built heading towards the center.
Development of the south and north city regions created problems for the transport system of the Northern Capital.
In 1960’s Leningrad (previous name of St. Petersburg) already had difficulties with connection between the north and south regions.
The constantly increasing freight turnover of the Sea Port caused the load on the urban roads going to the port to reach a critical level.
In 1966 a future highway, connecting the north and south of the city by the shortest possible route traversing near the Sea Port, appeared in the Leningrad Urban Development Master Plan.
In the mid 90’s an active work on implementation of the Project started:
- 1996 – The Design Plan of the high-speed road called the Western High-Speed Diameter was developed and approved.
- 1997 – Establishment of WHSD OJSC by the Government of St. Petersburg for the purpose of arranging the design and preparations to the road construction.
- 2000 – The Selection of the WHSD Construction Route Act was approved by the Governor of St. Petersburg. This was done after it had been approved by all the supervisory authorities and the companies affected by construction. In total 65 approvals were required.
- 2005 – The RF Governmental Decree №2006-р on feasibility of design, construction and operation of the WHSD highway on a paid basis.
- 2005-2006 – The main survey works were carried out, the designs for five stages of WHSD construction were developed
- 2005-2008 – The designs were reviewed and approved by Glavgosexpertise of the RF.
- 2005 - The First Stage of WHSD construction commenced.
- 2006 - The Government of St. Petersburg adopted the Law No. 627-100 “On Participation of St. Petersburg in Public-Private Partnerships (PPP)”
- 2008 – The first section of WHSD was opened for traffic. The highway interconnected pr. Stacheck and 3-4 areas of the Sea Port.
- 2010 – The section of the second stage of the WHSD construction was opened for traffic – to Blagodatnaya Street.
- February, 2011 – A tender for the right to construct the WHSD Central Section and to operate the entire highway was announced.
- May, 2011 – Commencement of the toll operation of the opened WHSD section from the Ring Road to Blagodatnaya Street.
- August, 2011 – Northern Capital Highway consortium became the winner of the tender for the right to construct the Central Section.
- 2011 – The Ring Road /WHSD interchange in the area of Hyundai car plant was opened.
- 2012 – The section of the 2 Stage of the WHSD construction from Blagodatnaya street to Ekateringovka river embankment was opened for traffic.
- 20.12.2012 – The Financial Closure Act and Agreement for the construction and operation of the Western High-Speed Diameter on the basis of the public private partnership were signed
- March 2013 – Mobilization and preparations to the active phase of construction commenced on the construction sites of the WHSD Central Section (Kanonersky Island, Vasilievsky Island and Savushkina Street area).
- 1 Dec, 2013 – Commissioning to Operation of WHSD Southern Section.
- 15 May, 2014 – Commissioning to Operation of WHSD Northern Section.
2016 – Completion and commissioning of WHSD Central Section.