Importance of WHSD
WHSD is a highway of not only the city, but also of the federal importance. Its construction meets the priorities of the social and economic transport infrastructure of St. Petersburg and Russia.
Transport Goals Attained
- Provides transport connection between the north-western, the central and southern regions of the city;
- Solves the problem of transport isolation of the Vasilievsky Island from other regions of St. Petersburg, including the period when the existing road bridges are open;
- Relieves the transport road network of St. Petersburg, including the central part of the city being under UNESCO protection;
- Improves the environmental situation in St. Petersburg by relieving the city roads;
- Partially solves seasonable road congestion problems at the exit from the city to recreational areas.
WHSD will allow St. Petersburg to develop as one of the major trade and transport centers of worldwide importance.
On an urban scale the highway:
- Creates approaches to the Big Port thus facilitating the growth of freight turnover;
- Simplifies transport connection between the port, railway, air and motor terminals ans provides their connection to federal highways;
- Ensures transport accessibility of St. Petersburg Passenger Sea Port situated on reclaimed areas of Vasilievsky Island; the capacity of the complex may reach more than 12 000 people per day. Providing an access to it will influence the development of St. Petersburg as a tourist center;
- Achieves the goal to provide transport infrastructure to the north-west of St. Petersburg, which is being rapidly developed as a residential, business and industrial region;
- Provides the working places and orders for the city enterprises. In the course of construction and operation the city contractors and suppliers will be deeply involved.
- The construction of the Central Section of WHSD will also ensure the future development of transport infrastructure facilities.
On an federal scale the highway:
- Becomes a part of and increases the capacity of the “North-South” transport corridor;
- Increases the general federal efficiency indicator of physical distribution system;
- Creates conditions for population mobility.